Getting started with SMS Text Messages in Slack with Centro
Centro supports sending and receiving text messages in Slack. Each Slack workspace will be designated a unique phone number that will handle the incoming and outgoing SMS messages. The functionality can be started in one of three methods:
- Send a single SMS from any public or private channel in Slack. You'll need to provide the phone number of the recipient.
- Use a template (created in Centro or pull from Salesforce Email Templates if the Salesforce connection has been established). Please note that formatting may not work as expected in SMS messages as well as they do in emails
- Send an SMS to a pinned Salesforce Contact, Lead, or Case. A Salesforce connection is required. Templates or single SMS messages can be created.
Example SMS flow:
- Call the bot by using the @centro mention in a channel (private or public) OR
- Use the /centro sms or provide the email address argument: /centro sms 303-909-7955
- Regardless of the method to start an SMS, you'll see a screen similar to this:
- Leaving "Use Template" to Custom Subject & Body will allow a user to start a new SMS from scratch:
- The SMS has not been sent yet and is in a Draft state. If anyone would like to edit it, including the original creator, pressing the Edit button will bring the user to the Centro SMS editor in a separate default web browser window:Note that basic formatting is available int his experience, and we can see who is actively editing (and view their edits in real-time) in Slack.
- When final edits are made, press Send SMS. The SMS will send using Centro's SMS servers to deliver the message to the recipient. The recipient will receive the email from the phone number designated to your workspace:
- Replies will appear in the channel: